A fine can only be processed in the written fine procedure if the person fined consents to it. 
Consent to the fine procedure is given to the authority issuing the fine or penal order. Most fines are imposed by the police, but other pre-trial investigation authorities also have the right to impose fines. 

If the recipient pays the fine, the authority considers them to have consented to the fine procedure. 

If the person fined does not consent to resolving the matter in a written procedure, a penal order will be issued to them and the fine matter will be transferred to the criminal procedure. Read more about penal orders.

Note! If the fine was issued for an offence with an injured party, that is, a victim, they must also consent to the fine procedure. In other words, if the victim wants an oral court hearing to be conducted, the fine procedure cannot be used.

Neither can an injured party's claim for compensation be processed in the fine procedure. A request to prosecute is also required in a complainant offence.

Withdrawing consent

If the person fined or the injured party changes their mind after giving their consent, they can withdraw their consent with the form below. 

If consent is withdrawn, the prosecutor will transfer the matter to the criminal procedure. This means that the police will conduct a pre-trial investigation followed by a consideration of charges by the prosecutor. If the prosecutor decides to bring charges, the matter will be heard in court. 

FORM: Account concerning fine procedure